Monday, January 21, 2013

Summing up the last couple of months...

So since my last post not much has changed and/or happened in our lives.  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and News Year has come and gone and we were thankful to have a great holiday season.

~~ October ~~

The month started off pretty slow and not much going on.  Mason and myself traveled back to SC the weekend of the 20th for my best friends wedding.  It was such a hectic weekend with not only being the maid(tron) of honor and all the responsibilities of that but I was ALSO doing the wedding cake.  Lets just say that boy or boy this tested a 30+ year friendship!!  In the end it all worked out great and I felt as if the cake came out beautiful.  Where there things about it that I would change?  Yes, but then again I am a cake perfectionist and there have only been a couple that I have stepped back from and thought "damn I just did that!".  Although I thought there was room to grow I do have to say I was fairly impressed with the outcome for it being my first wedding cake.  The flavor was a huge hit and I got tons of compliments overall which helped take the stress away from the whole ordeal.
Lesson learned:  Never do a cake (even if its for your BFF) when you don't live in the same state/area as the wedding and don't have access to your own personal kitchen, even if you have free rein of one its just not the same.

So what do you think?



Halloween was awesome as always.  This year we stayed here on Quantico and after a late start meet up with a few friends to Trick-or-Treat with.  Mason is into Super Heroes right now and wanted to be Batman!! I was ecstatic because that was an easy enough costume to make... or so I thought.

Here are a few pictures


Yep even I got in on the fun :)  Mason insisted I be Catwomen so this is as good as I got!  But hey he was happy and that is all that matters!  His costume came together fairly easy since I didn't have to make the utility belt.  We found one for $15 and figured he would get future use out of it so why not.  So really all I "made" for his outfit was the cape (from an adult t-shirt) and attached a felt cutout of the bat symbol to his shirt!  Easy peasy in the end ;)


 ~~ November ~~
  
Before we knew it Thanksgiving was rolling around and we made plans to go up to Maryland to visit my Aunt and Uncle like last year.  It is always great having family close and we are glad that they are less than 2 hours away.  It makes for a great trip on long weekends or over the holidays.  Once again I was able to drag my Aunt Black Friday shopping and this year thanks to the stores opening on Thanksgiving evening (still not sure how I feel about that) we where home before midnight!!  I was stoked to get everything I wanted on my list and was able to get a lot of Christmas gifts out of the way.


As always the weekend of Thanksgiving on our way home we stop at the tree farm to cut down our own tree!!  I have grown to LOVE this tradition and will be sad when we move and no longer have this opportunity.  It was quite interesting seeing the tree placed on top of Shawn's car this year since we didn't take my SUV to help save gas.  Take a look...



~~ December ~~

Of course this is always a great month with the Christmas season but we love it because it means great family time too!  Mason had about 2 weeks off from school which allowed us to celebrate Christmas here in VA but then travel back to SC for News Year :)  Plus my Mom made it up to celebrate Christmas with us!!

Here are some of the pictures from our celebration festivities...

Sprinkling Reindeer food on the front lawn!  Yes he is in my shoes, lol, it was a wet night and I didn't want his jammies all wet before bedtime.



Looks as if we have had a special visitor and look what he left!


















< Just woke up              ^  Discovered what Santa left him


I think he made out like a bandit... gosh it must be nice to be him ;)


But hey I can't complain I got some awesome gifts too... Dunkin Donuts GC, woohoo!!! 


~~ January ~~

Looking forward to what a new year brings.  I do not like to set "resolutions" but I like to write goals for myself.  Here are a few of my goals for 2013:

1) be healthier 
2)  work on fiances
3) less procrastination
4) keeping areas of the house more organized
5) do more for/with my Scentsy Family business

 

No comments: